Pride Veterinary Centre's home page
  • 24 hour emergencies01332 678333
  • 24 hour referrals01332 548911

Pet Passports

How you can take your pets on holiday

A valid Passport allows owners to take their pets on holiday without quarantine on their return to the UK. It also acts as an export certificate for animals that are going to live permanently abroad. The countries covered by the passport are all EU countries PLUS Scandinavia. For other countries owners must contact DEFRA.

What Do I Need To Do To Get A Pet Passport For My Dog Or Cat?

  • The pet must be 3 months of age.
  • The pet must be microchipped.
  • The pet must be vaccinated against rabies

A blood sample must be taken between 3-4 weeks after the rabies vaccination to confirm the vaccine has produced immunity. The pet passport can be issued after receiving the blood sample results.

What The Pet Passport Covers

It allows re-entry into the UK. Re-entry cannot take place until 21 days after vaccination against rabies.

It allows entry from the UK into all the EU countries plus Scandinavia and replaces the old export certificate for these countries after completion of the passport (there is a 21 day waiting period). A blood sample is not required if the passport is used only for export

Other Requirements For Re-Entry

The pet must be treated 24-48 hours prior to re-entry into the UK with a specific treatment to kill tape worms. These must be administered by a registered vet in the holiday country who will then stamp and sign the passport.

How Long Is The Passport Valid?

It is valid for the life of the pet but the pet will need a rabies vaccination booster within 3 years of the first vaccination and every 3 years thereafter. The vaccine must be entered on the passport and signed and stamped after the chip is checked. If the vaccination is not carried out within 3 years of the last vaccine another blood sample will have to be taken and the 6 month waiting period for re-entry will be necessary again.

Some EU countries insist on yearly rabies vaccines if resident in these countries. Please ensure you enquire what the local regulations are to ensure you comply.

Healthcare When Abroad

It is advisable to protect your pet when abroad from Ticks, Mosquitoes and Sandflies as these may carry new diseases to your pet. We can advise on what treatments are available.

The PETS Helpline – Telephone 0870 2411 710 (8:30am – 5:00pm, Mon-Fri), E-mail:

DEFRA Website

Return to Routine Pet Care